Friday, November 18, 2011

How can I kill common (or bracken?) fern?

I have turned over some rough ground to vegetables. The plot has/had a lot of ferns and the roots are proving difficult to dig out, they are just about a full spit down and are extensive. I dont want to use herbicides which make the ground unusable for any length of time.

How can I kill common (or bracken?) fern?
spay vinegar on them during a sunny day and i mean alot of vinegar. this is how i weed my garden. vinegar will kill any plant cause the vinegar burns the leaves.
Reply:bracken ferns can be quite noxious and just pulling them out often wont eradicate them.


if you are putting in herbs then your best bet would be to remove a lot of the soil then use a glyphosate based herbicide that becomes inactive after 24 hours (like round up). then add more soil organic fertilizer to fill it to the required level.





Simon.


No comments:

Post a Comment