Friday, November 18, 2011

Why do we add sucrose in nutrient medium for fern tissue culture?

i'm doing a project that require us to grow fern gametophyte from plant tissue culture. I have to answer the qn for my report..

Why do we add sucrose in nutrient medium for fern tissue culture?
Sucrose is a carbon source. Fern spore can be find as humic acid or humate in the nature.
Reply:I have you an answer but, first here is some info to make it plainer. I am in the middle of an experiment with mutating Bermuda grass. Bermuda is autotropic plant (uses the light from the sun to fix Nitrogen, etc.) but most importantly is instrumental in the production of "STARCH" the energy source for the plant to grow and sustain life. I disabled the gene that enables Bermuda to use sunlight to produce starch (non-autotropic.) So now I use sucrose mixed into the water I give the plant. Now the plant uses "SUCROSE" for it's energy source witch is taken in through it's root system. Sucrose (sugar) is in crystal form and when mixed with water the crystal splits unto fructose and glucose. It's really the glucose that is the energy source (nutrient) that activates and sustains plant growth in your and my case. Some of us organic orientated gardeners use a little molasses diluted in water sprayed on the root system when transplanting plants for a extra kick start. Good luck.

php hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment