Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How to bring an asparagus fern back from the dead?

I have an asparagus fern that is in a large pot outside and was killed by an unexpected frost about a month ago. I just left it out there dead and brown since, but I have now noticed that there are some new green sprigs.





It's in potting soil with nutrients and has been getting adequate water. I have excised all the dead parts of the plant above ground level and left it with just the tiny little live portion. Is there anything I can do to revive it other than just wait and see?

How to bring an asparagus fern back from the dead?
They are extremely hardy. Usually I just cut the whole thing down to about a 2" stub and then cover with a fine mulch and let it come back on it's own. In your case would probably just add a little more of your potting soil around the live growth.
Reply:not sure what area or zone you live in but in alabama this does happen after a freeze...you are correct if no more freezing is coming to prune off all of the deadness. water and wait and it almost always returns hearty and beautiful as ever...good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment